Sunday, March 15, 2009

Romeo Montague Must Not Live!


Act Three, Scene One:

Tragedy struck this morning. My brother's son Tybalt was murdered by one of those loathsome Montagues - Romeo. I was a fool not to recognize what that despicable family was capable of. My poor nephew lay dead in the square, and Romeo and his gang of murderers had fled. The only one to stay behind was Benvolio who actually had the gall to tell the Prince that Romeo had been reluctant to fight but that Tybalt (who now dead could not defend himself) was the one who instigated the entire brawl. Despite my grief, I would not let this lie stand. I told the Prince that Benvolio is a Montague himself and was just defending his own clan. An eye for an eye is what I demanded. Romeo deserved to die!

Unfortunately, the Prince was ridiculously lenient. He only banned Romeo from Verona, forbidding his return. In fact, should he enter Verona's gates ever again, he will be put to death. I suppose I should have some sympathy for the Prince. Mercutio, one of Romeo's friends, was killed by Tybalt, and he was related to the Prince. We've all lost someone it seems. But at least the Montague's kin still lives. Romeo still walks the streets, and Tybalt lies dead in the family crypt. No, I cannot have sympathy. Our loss is greater. I still argue Romeo should not live!

No comments:

Post a Comment